Monday 3 August 2009

Me Again...

Having sat here reading the last post I made, somewhere in the region of a year ago, the temptation is to feel a little ashamed of myself. I'd got my determination going, quit the smokes, started a running programme and was losing weight hand over fist. Then, as occasionally happens, the wheels fell off. Within a very short space of time I was back on the smokes and the couch. The weight piled on again and here we are, one year later, at 265lbs.

On a more positive note, I've been off the smokes for 11 weeks and I now feel ready to tackle this again. I've started some gentle exercise with a view to getting back on C25K within 2 weeks. I don't feel ashamed, I feel determined and a little bit better educated than last time.

To those wonderful people who contacted me with messages of support and concern after the posts stopped, I thank you sincerely. I can only apologise for the prolonged silence, but those who know the shame that is associated with failure will understand, I hope. Take comfort in the fact that it is those messages which made me resolve to get back on track. I'll be making sure I don't let you down again.

2 comments:

Muppet said...

Hi Gary,
Tonight I was sitting at my computer and I thought 'should check Penguin's blog, haven't had a look for a while' and yay, there you were, back again! Called out to my hubbie and the two girls, who all remember you from my c25k days, and they came to have a look too. Life is full of ups and downs isn't it, but its great that you've given up the smokes again, and are on your way back. I hope you keep posting, I always looked forward to reading your updates.
All the best,
Anna

Doug Cook said...

Can't wait for the 2010 blog post. If you are too busy let me write it for you.

Here I am another year older and now I'm 275lbs. Just started the C2K (Couch to Kitchen)workout program and it is going well.Had a heart attack on the couch watching football when I bent over for the chip bag which fell off my stomach onto the floor.

Sorry but support and words of encouragement did nothing for you so thought maybe a kick in the ass from Canada was worth a shot.

Just Do It!