Wednesday 2 June 2010

Variety is the Spice of Working Out

Another beautiful day for a walk, which is lucky because that's exactly what I was doing. Under the auspices of keeping my walking programme as similar to a good running programme as possible, today was a hard day. No heroics, just an ardent desire to keep pushing forward and no coasting. It paid off, I feel, and not because I've seen a miraculous improvement in my size (still fat) or condition (still unfit). It just really helped to get me out of the door knowing that I had a little competition going with myself. And that, I feel, is the secret to this stuff. It has to be a lifestyle change, but if you're going to be doing this for the rest of your life then it needs to be fun. Setting little goals helps to give it that competitive and fun edge.

So, it's an easy day tomorrow, and believe me when I say that it is just as much of a challenge forcing yourself to go easy when you know you've got much more left in the tank, and I thought that I might try some intervals on Friday. Just a kind of ten minutes hard five minutes easy kind of thing, to try and juggle things around again. Who thought you could have so much fun at five in the morning?

No comments: