Friday 22 August 2008

I'm a 25 Minute Runner

C25K Week 6 Day 3

Time - 5.30am, Weather - Cloudy and Dull 10.2 degrees C, Wind WSW 6mph

It's a curious feeling when you're about to push a frontier. That may seem to be a curious sentence, considering that I'm only running, not launching into space or conquering a mountain, but I do see a level of parity between the pursuits. The only difference worthy of mention is the matter of scale rather than achievement. No doubt it is a particularly noteworthy experience to scale Everest or make it into space - some would say a lifetime's achievement - whilst my 25 minute shuffle can hardly compare. Yet it is in the comparisons that truth tends to emerge. For example, if I compare what I was doing in my life two months ago, six months ago, a year ago, to what I am doing now there would be little comparison. In fact, If I go one step further and compare myself in the present to myself 6 years ago, I would essentially be comparing two different people living two different lives.

I'm sure most frontiersmen felt something similar when they compared their lives before and after their achievements. They made a decision that they wanted to do something, achieve something, which would require sacrifices and commitment. And so have I.

Now, after all these grandiose statements, I have to put this all in some sense of context. It was a 25 minute run with no walk-breaks; a marathon it was not. But if you'd suggested to me that I run for 25 minutes 8 weeks ago, I'd have called for the ambulance before I set off. Yet, by following a training plan, trusting that plan and my body, and remaining disciplined, I've achieved something that I last did in my high school days. By continuing on this plan, and subsequent ones to be decided, I hope to go well beyond this achievement to attain many of the goals that I have set for myself.

Today was hard, but I never felt like quitting. I maintained a steady (almost sedate) pace and heart-rate and made it to the 25 minute mark. The only disappointment today was that it took me 3 minutes to catch and overtake a man who was walking the same route. To be fair to myself, it was near the end of my run, and on a steady incline, but it really did take the cake to find that, when I finally passed him, he was smoking a cigarette! I wonder if that happened to Sir Edmund Hilary?

Remember folks, all you have to do is believe that it's possible.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

4 comments:

Muppet said...

Congratulations Gary, what a fantastic achievement! Tomorrow I run Week 3, day 1, and reading your story has been inspirational. You must be so proud of yourself! Keep up the good work...
Anna, North Queensland, Australia

Gary said...

Thanks Anna, and it's inspirational to me to know that this blog isn't just an exercise in self-publicity.

I wish you lots of luck in the weeks ahead - not that you need it I'm sure - and hope that you achieve all your goals.

Gary

Daisy said...

Just amazing, also an inspiration to me :) It's great having a journal to list your progress, I use it to account to myself and it's a great way to get in touch with others following the same program :D

I just did week 5 day 3, so I can relate to the feeling, I think I might have actually squealed of joy when I was done... out loud.... accidentally...

Great great job!

Gary said...

Thanks Daisy,

And congratulations on your progress. I've found that I feel much better as a runner after I did that first twenty minute run. I couldn't wait to ditch the walk-breaks and start clocking up some serious time running.

And I can remember several occasions where I shouted out (very) loud when I'd finished certain runs or intervals. Thankfully there are very few people about when I'm running :)