Wednesday 20 August 2008

Week 6 Day 2

5.30am - Weather: Cloudy but bright 14.8 degrees C - Wind Westerly 16mph

Felt very good today. Managed to find a much better running surface and a much better running rhythm. The difference it made was noticeable. The first ten-minute interval was actually something of a pleasure. Also, my heart rate peaked at 171bpm today - most of the time it was in the mid-160s - and I felt so much better for it.

The only source of unease was that I felt the walk-break was very short; it seemed that I'd barely slowed down before I was being asked to up the pace again. It was only after I'd got home and checked that I realised it was only a three-minute walk break today. I genuinely believed it was five. I think the important lesson, however, was that I just got on with it and was fine. I remember writing here, only in Week 4 I think, about how the change in walk-break timings had been so detrimental to my performance. I didn't really give it a second thought today, and it showed in how well I coped with things mentally.

Of course, all these observations are purely academic now as the walk-break is no longer part of the programme. 25 minutes to be run on Friday and all next week. I can't wait.

No comments: