Wednesday 6 August 2008

Week 4 Day 2

Weather - Huffing it down again!

I was eager to get back on the horse today, after my slightly traumatic experience on Monday. Much to my surprise I felt really good. I knocked the first three intervals over without much problem (3min, 5min, 3min), and it was only during the last 5 minute interval that I began to struggle. According to my Garmin (new toy, LOVE it!) I was doing fine for the first 2.5 minutes and then my pace plummeted. According to my memory I felt OK and then somebody put a 50lb rucksack on me when I wasn't looking. My legs felt like lead and I had to keep focusing on the ground in front of me for the final minute.

The most important thing, however, is that I finished. The bonus is that I felt I had improved on Monday's performance. The emphasis of this programme is to run for the time allocated. It's not about pace (and I'm very glad about that), so to finish is the goal.

I started a new route today which is roughly a 5 mile lap. I figure that the extra walking time at the end will help me improve my endurance and give me more time working at my target heart rate. It's also primarily gravel on the outward section (I can't even begin to think about a time when I might be running beyond that), which is much kinder on my joints. My ankle is still niggly though. I'm beginning to think that it may be a footwear issue.

Just one more day of week four remaining.

No comments: