Monday 18 August 2008

Week 6 Day 1

Time 5.30am. Weather: Heavy rain 13.3 degrees C, Wind SE 15mph

I felt so good today once I'd warmed up and finally started running. Obviously, today was quite an easy day compared to Friday, but I think it was far more about consolidation than it was about taking a step backwards. If there's one thing that I've learned so far on my journey, it's that all of this structure and change is done for a very good reason. To reach twenty minutes on Friday was amazing, but to rush on from that without letting me consolidate the gain would be utterly reckless. Even more so considering that I'm building up to 25 minutes by the end of the week, and that this week signals a goodbye to the walk-break from Friday onwards.

There were still 18 minutes of running today, and the 8 minute interval in the middle did require some pacing control. I haven't been able to download my stats from Garmin (I've started using that as a personal pronoun) as I'm in England visiting my mother, but it felt as though my pace was fairly relaxed. It also felt a little faster, without any straining. I certainly felt strong, even at the end.

A good day.

1 comment:

Patrick Batty said...

Nice job Gary. We're getting there.