Friday 29 August 2008

Week 7 Done

Time 5.30am - Weather Cloudy but Bright, 15 degrees C, Wind WSW 10mph

You may have noticed over the past few days or even weeks, dear reader, that I've been waxing somewhat philosophically about the nature of running, rather than just noting times dates places etc. This isn't because I'm much of a philosopher; it's more because running gives you the opportunity to think, to take a step back from your life and put things into context. Much as I loved Robert Ullrey's podcasts during the earlier weeks, I couldn't wait to shed them once the intervals had finished so that I could have a chance to listen to my thoughts.

Some months ago - when I was at my heaviest, still a smoker and crippled with depression - I saw a counsellor who (though she may not think it) helped me immensely by explaining how behaviour patterns are formed and changed. I like to think that thanks to her, and my own hard work, I've managed to break free of many of the mind-forged manacles I used to imprison myself in my old behaviour patterns. Yet it's interesting that in my new lifestyle, even in my running, I can see bad habits forming.




The Hole in the Road

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B7ABD182-1B67-4B33-AA25-4356076BC622/0/hole_in_the_road.jpg

The following is taken from a printed sheet that my counsellor gave to me. If it is copyrighted, please be assured that no money is being made from its use. Many of you may have seen it before. I find it a very powerful series of statements to reflect on.


Reflection can slowly bring us to wisdom. We can learn to realise how we, again and again, fall into rigid, repeating patterns of behaviour. And we can begin to long for a way out. Of course it can happen that we, again and again, fall back into old behaviours, but we can slowly let go of them and change ourselves. The following affects all of us:

1. I'm walking down a road.
There is a deep hole in my path.
I fall into it.
I'm lost...
I'm without hope.
It's not my fault.
It takes ages to get out of it.

2. I'm walking down the same road.
There is a deep hole in my path.
I pretend that I don't see it.
I fall into it again.
I cannot believe that I'm back in the same place.
But it's not my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

3. I'm walking down the same road.
There is a deep hole in my path.
I see it.
I still fall into it...it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It's my own fault.
I get out of it immediately.

4. I'm walking down the same road.
There is a deep hole in my path.
I walk around it.

5. I walk down a different road.



Ok, so what has this got to do with anything about today's run. You may have guessed: I'm still tearing off like a bat out of hell at the start. I see the hole and I jump into it. It's all my fault. I think I need a new road.

Other than that, though, I was very please with today. It's great to be through week 7 and I'm only 2 weeks away from completing the programme. Next week the running goes up to 28 minutes, which should get me a little nearer to the magic 5k. Currently I'm doing about 2.25miles (convert it if it rubs your Buddha), which is a little behind, but nothing I'm going to stress about.

Run on, brave souls. Just keep an eye out for the holes in the road.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Congrats on finishing week 7!

I know exactly what you mean with the whole reflecting while running thing.

During my running my mind is so nicely blank and worry-free, compared to my usual 'pondering-to-no-end' self, it's awesome! Through running I've learned to relax my thoughts more and changed some of my ways.

Only two more weeks to go in the program, go go you!

Melissa said...

Gary, as far as bad habits go, I think running too fast isn't the worst one to have! Of course, you don't want it to interfere with your enjoyment of running.
Congrats on finishing week 7. You're as good as done now! What's an extra three minutes when you're already going 25?
I love the quote from the sheet your counselor gave you. I'm stuck at step 3 for a few things and it's very frustrating and annoying!